Welcome to IASE Guwahati
Govt. Banikanta College of Teacher Education, Lachit Nagar, Guwahati-7
College at a Glance..
The Banikanta College was established in January 1967 at the instance of Dr. M.N. Goswami and C. Das, the then Vice Chancellor and Registrar of Gauhati University respectively with the sole aim of catering to Teacher education in the North Eastern Region of India. It ischristened after the name of Dr. Banikanta Kakoti, the great pioneering and researcher and an intellectual giant of Assam. Mr. Radhakanta Das, a retired eminent Professor of Mathematics, who took over charge as the first Principal of this institute. After passing through the able hands of five eminent Principals the college was renamed as “Banikanta College of Teacher Education.” The Government of Assam, with the sole aim of expansion of teacher education in the state, took over the college on 1st. April 1983.
The college after its affiliation under Gauhati University in 1967, was duly recognized by the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE), and is now upgraded to the Institute of Advanced Studies in Education (IASE) as announced by MHRD and the developmental works have started from the year 2005 accordingly by the Govt. of Assam.
Profile of the College :
- The Banikanta College of Teacher Education which was established in 1967, as a private college.
- The College has been Provincialized by the Government of Assam in the Year 1983.
- The College has been upgraded to an INSTITUTE OF ADVANCED STUDIES IN EDUCATION (IASE), as declared by Srijut Tarun Gogoi, Honourable Chief Minister of Assam in the year 2005.
- Pioneer Folk-Literature of Assam Late Dr. Prafulla Dutta Goswami and Late Dr. Birendra Nath Choudhury were the President and Secretary respectively of the 1st Governing Body of the College.
- The College/ Institute has got 6 Bighas 15 Lechas land under its belt and having its own classrooms, library, laboratory, psychological lab, Men’s Hostel and the Women’s Hostel.
- At present the Institute has 10 faculty members including 2 Professors & the Principal-In-Charge.
- The present enrolment of this institute is 50 in every year as per NCTE approval.
- The institution is conducting both in-service and pre-service education through B.Ed(2yesr) and D.El.Ed.(ODL)
- The institute has adequate numbers of class-rooms for performing scholastic and non-scholastic activities.
- The institutional library has got 7000 books including reference and educational journals, Periodicals etc.
- The faculty members of Govt. Banikanta College of Teacher Education (IASE-Ghy) goes for support visit and supervise regularly to thirteen Secondary schools and thirteen DIETs (namely Dalgaon DIET (Darrang), DIET-Samaguri (Nagaon), Goalpara, DIET Mirza, DIET Nalbari, DIET- Howly (Barpata), DIET- Golokganj (Dhubri), DIRT-Morigaon, DIET- Kokrajar and DIET- Biswanath Chariali including four CTE of different district of Assam.
- The institution has celebrated “2017” as Golden Jubilee Year after successful completion of 50 glorious years, as a pioneer institute of Teacher Education, in Assam.
- Hon’able Sri Siddhartha Bhattacharya, MLA, Government of Assam, laid the foundation stone of the College Main gate on 19.12.2017, as a part of Golden Jubilee celebration. Accordingly, the construction work of the gate was completed with the MLA development fund.